New Ross has served as an international port for many centuries.
Its tradition as a safe haven for importing and exporting goods stretches as far back as the 13th Century.
As an inland port it offered shelter and as Ireland’s only inland port was once the main port in on the island. In 1207 the town was granted a royal charter and during the middle ages even rivalled Dublin Port for trade.
In later centuries, the New Ross quays were completed (1855) and the port did strong trade with Baltic ports and Canada (Newfoundland).
The now decommissioned railway line impacted on the port’s shipping trade in the late 19th Century. However, an industrial revival in the 1950s centred on the river banks. READ MORE